You’ve heard of wine caves - how about wine caving?
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE to learn more about this new, and one-of-a-kind experience on an Avalon Waterways river cruise on the Rhone River in the south of France that combines adventure - with the exquisite wines of the region.
Lynn Elmhirst, producer and host of BestTrip TV, was one of the first guests to experience the new 'Active & Discovery' excursion that meant donning a caving suit, helmet, headlamp and a little bit of bravery to descend into caves near Avignon, France.
At the bottom of literally hundreds of stairsteps – 55 meters / 180 feet down into the earth, unfolds a 60 km / 40 mile network of caves that inhabitants of the region were using even tens of thousands of years ago.
Today, in addition to spectacular spelunking – that’s just a fancy word for caving – sights like sci-fi worthy formations, reflective pools and cathedral-like spaces, local winemakers have an ageing cave, where they are experimenting with how cave-aged wines differ from those aged above ground.
It’s a once-in-a-lifetime wine tasting and caving experience, and the latest in Avalon Waterways’ Active & Discovery river cruise shore excursions.
And after three glasses of wine and a climb up hundreds of stairs back to the surface, you might be grateful for the helmet! :-)
Start your Wine Tasting Adventure River Cruise!
- The road to luxury travel told by travel experts
- Best Personalized Travel Experience…
- Travel Unites
- Are you looking for a travel advisor?
- Silversea. 10 years of expeditions.
- These Resorts have been Named Top in the Caribbean for the 30th Time at the 30th World Travel Awards
- Air France Celebrates its 90th Anniversary with - What Else? High Fashion
- The Best Way to Experience the Most Romantic River in Europe
- Oktoberfest on the Beach? Yes, You Can!
- New Ships Debut on Two Sensational Rivers: France’s Rhone and the Nile