You’ve heard of wine caves - how about wine caving?
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE to learn more about this new, and one-of-a-kind experience on an Avalon Waterways river cruise on the Rhone River in the south of France that combines adventure - with the exquisite wines of the region.
Lynn Elmhirst, producer and host of BestTrip TV, was one of the first guests to experience the new 'Active & Discovery' excursion that meant donning a caving suit, helmet, headlamp and a little bit of bravery to descend into caves near Avignon, France.
At the bottom of literally hundreds of stairsteps – 55 meters / 180 feet down into the earth, unfolds a 60 km / 40 mile network of caves that inhabitants of the region were using even tens of thousands of years ago.
Today, in addition to spectacular spelunking – that’s just a fancy word for caving – sights like sci-fi worthy formations, reflective pools and cathedral-like spaces, local winemakers have an ageing cave, where they are experimenting with how cave-aged wines differ from those aged above ground.
It’s a once-in-a-lifetime wine tasting and caving experience, and the latest in Avalon Waterways’ Active & Discovery river cruise shore excursions.
And after three glasses of wine and a climb up hundreds of stairs back to the surface, you might be grateful for the helmet! :-)
Start your Wine Tasting Adventure River Cruise!
- The road to luxury travel told by travel experts
- Best Personalized Travel Experience…
- Travel Unites
- Are you looking for a travel advisor?
- Silversea. 10 years of expeditions.
- This is How One River Cruise Line is Marking the 80th Anniversary of D-Day, From London to Paris
- Be a Part of Royal Coronation History with a Visit to Great Britain
- Ventures by Seabourn Give Guests a New Point of View on Luxury Cruises in Alaska
- Hong Kong Wants to Buy You a Drink - and Toast its East-Meets-West Culture
- First Ritz-Carlton Property in Italy Coming to Lake Como