Beaches, canyons, tequila and tacos are major reasons many tourists decide to travel to Mexico each year. Mexico City, Playa del Carmen, New Mexico, Cabo San Lucas are top luxury destinations adored by visitors.
Dream destinations to book ahead of Cinco de Mayo
Boasting a dramatic desert backdrop nestled by coastlines of the Pacific Ocean and Sea of Cortez, Cabo San Lucas has some of the most luxurious resorts. Playa del Carmen, home to six Virtuoso properties, is in Riviera Maya along the Caribbean Sea. Numerous cruise ships come in and out via the Calica quarry docks, and Xcaret Eco Park is a popular tourist destination nearby. In Mexico City, there are more than 170 museums, like the Museum of Modern Art and the National Museum of Anthropology. The city’s noteworthy culinary scene boasts some 15,000 restaurants, from roadside stands to Michelin-ranked dining rooms.
While in Mexico how do you tip?
If you have plans to travel to Mexico knowing how to tip in various situations will make you look like a local. Courtesy to Condé Nast Traveler, here are some helpful tipping etiquette:
- At Restaurants: Leave 10-15%, in cash if possible.
- At Hotels: For the porter — 10-20 pesos per bag, for the housekeeper — 20-50 pesos per night, and for concierge — a minimum of 100 pesos.
- Guides and drivers: For tours, 100-200 pesos per day for the tour guide, 200-300 per day for combined driver-guide.
- Who else? A gas station attendant should get 5 pesos per fill-up. For parking attendants, doormen it depends on the service and rely on your judgement.
- Insider advice: Dollars are accepted, but it’s always better to tip with local currency. Also, tip discreetly, in an envelope if possible.
Are you thinking to book a trip to Mexico or need hotel and resorts recommendations?
- The road to luxury travel told by travel experts
- Travel Unites
- Are you looking for a travel advisor?
- Silversea. 10 years of expeditions.
- Seychelles: Amazing Summer Travel Experiences
- 10 Reasons to Visit Columbia on Your Next Trip to Latin America
- 5 Ways to Explore this Country’s Desert From the Traditional to the Extreme
- Celebrating World Cocktail Day with a Travel-Inspired Cocktail... or Two
- Riding the Rails AND the Waves in the Latest Travel Trend
- Spring Gardens, Tropical-Style in Costa Rica